Monday, July 13, 2015

When the Tube Shuts Down


Last Wednesday, a tube strike began in London.  It began Wednesday early evening and continued into Thursday, all day.  Because of this strike, my class got cancelled on Thursday since my professor could not make it to class.  

I decided to take that day to myself and explore London a bit.  My flat is a close walk away from the British Museum so I headed over that morning.  I found myself climbing the stairs to wander through artifacts, mummies, statues, and “rescued” treasures.  It was amazing, to be amongst that much history.  I found myself particularly drawn to the busts of different leaders of Rome, reading all of their short biographies with patience.  I made my way through all the different exhibits, getting lost in the past.  I remained at the museum till school groups started showing up and it began becoming chaotic.

From the British Museum, I went to a 24 hour cafe called VQ where I treated myself to a full English breakfast, consisting of eggs, an english muffin, a tomato, a mushroom, baked beans, sausage, and bacon.  That was something I had put on my London bucket list and I absolutely loved it.


So even though the Tube was down, I made the most of that day in London.


No comments:

Post a Comment